Every experience God gives us, every person that He puts into our lives, is the perfect preparation for a future only He can see.
- Corrie Ten Boom

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Exodus + Jeremiah + the Holy Spirit = Conviction

When I am trying to drift peacefully off to sleep I listen to books in MP3 format. Right now, I am listening to the book of Exodus. In my reading of the Bible, I am reading Jeremiah. In Exodus the Israelites are getting the laws of God, in Jeremiah they are being warned of judgement for not following them. If you are like me, you might wonder how these ancient people didn't get it. How God could have been so involved with their lives, like leading them around the desert with a cloud and a pillar of fire, providing manna and quail for them, and parting seas, all these manifestations that could only be explained by a God who was gracious to them; and yet they didn't get it, they chose to worship other gods, they turned their back on the One who was their Creator and Sustainer in favor of a god that could do nothing for them at all, that was fashioned by their own hands.

So, as I am reading these things, and these thoughts come into my mind, the Holy Spirit brings to my mind things that God has done for me, in my life, in the lives of those around me and yet the many times that I didn't get it. The times where I didn't trust God, or felt that my way was better than His. And there have been many. Conviction. As I seek to serve God with my whole heart, life, I know that there will be many of these times. While they are difficult, I know that through it God is teaching me, He's bringing me closer to Him, closer to who He wants me to be. I want that, with all of my heart, mind and soul. I want Him to truly reign in me and in order to do that, I know that there must be conviction, there must be repentance on my part. How about you? Do you truly want God to reign in your heart and life?

No comments:

Post a Comment